Tuesday, November 13, 2007

7-layer Mexican Dip

This is a variation on a family recipe. Under penalty of death, I cannot share my family's secret recipe, but I did concoct this considerably easier version for a recent party. It's pretty easy and husband approved for taste. Enjoy!

You'll need:
1 pkg. cream cheese (I recommend the nuftachel cream cheese), softened
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 container pre-made guacamole (produce section)
1 can refried beans
1 jar salsa (I like the tostito's stuff with the chunks of veggies in it)
1 pkg cheddar cheese
1 tomato, chopped
1 small can sliced black olives
lettuce, shredded

1. Mix soft cream cheese with taco seasoning. Spread on bottom of a glass baking dish.
2. Spread guacamole over cream cheese mixture
3. spread refried beans over guacamole
4. spread salsa over beans
5. cover with a layer of lettuce, a layer of cheddar cheese, and a layer of tomatoes and olives
6. refridgerate until ready to serve

Serve with tortilla chips.

Tips: All of the layers (except the tomatoes and the cream cheese mixture) can be bought in pre-packaged containers. If you're pressed for time, I recommend using this method. Also, when I make it, I only use 1/2 a can of refried beans (1. because I don't like them, 2. because they're hard to spread)

Note: All in all, this is a pretty healthy dip. With the exception of the refried beans, everything in it is generally natural and good for you. Definitely a guilt-free snack!

No comments: