Monday, November 26, 2007

Gingerbread Men (attempt #1)

So, I'm experimenting to find the perfect gingerbread dough recipe. This is the first one I've tried. It's not the greatest, but it's pretty good. I'll put up the next recipe with my modifications soon.

You'll need:
1 1/2 sticks of butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 pkg. (4 serving-size) Jell-o butterscotch pudding and pie filling mix
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1. beat butter, sugar, dry pudding mix, and egg in a large bowl until well blended.
2. Mix in dry ingredients gradually
3. refridgerate 1 hour or until firm
4. preheat oven to 350.
5. roll out dough on floured surface
6. cut dough into desired shapes, decorate if using non-melting candy.
7. bake 10-12 minutes
8. let cool, decorate

Tips: If using meltable decorating materials, wait until cookies come out of the oven and then lightly press the candy into the cookies as they cool. Also, if using Splenda brown sugar, you will need to wet fingers when creating dough ball.

Substitutions: I used Splenda brand brown sugar. It doesn't measure exactly as regular brown sugar, but it cuts some carbs and calories. Also, I used sugar-free pudding mix.

Note: In the future, I will probably be adding 1/4 cup of molasses to this recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments: